Thursday, July 29, 2010

This Bird is Crazy!

My heart was racing, I was starting to sweat and I couldn't walk away fast enough. At one point I was even running. The first time it happened I just kept looking around thinking, am I imagining this? The second time I knew I wasn't dreaming. And the third time I didn't wait around to see what was going to happen.

Laura and I like to walk our neighborhood. It is pretty quiet most of the time, well until recently. A few weeks ago LB and I had just pulled out of the driveway and turned down our own street for an early morning walk. LB points out all the flags along the way. And I point out various other things of interest. Up ahead I see a bird and comment, oh look Laura at the bird. Next thing I know it is headed straight for us. Not like its crossing the street to the next power line, but straight for us. I had to duck to miss it. My first thought is that it is trying to land on my head - kind of like all the bird people you see in parks feeding the pidgins. This happens two more times. Heart racing. Did that really just happen??

One week later - same encounter! Two weeks later - same encounter again! This third time I almost saw the bird coming too late. I barely saw it out of the corner of my eye, coming at us from behind almost. Whew! That was a close one. We make eye contact. It is like a stare-down. I know its going to make another dive at us. Run!

This bird is crazy! I get one or two houses down before I turn around. The bird is watching us.

It's the same side of the street, at the same house every time. All I can figure is that this bird must have a nest with some babies close by and I'm threatening her little ones.

I can respect the momma bird protecting her babies. And I'd prefer not to be attacked anymore. I'll just turn the other way out of the driveway next time.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I had the same experience back when Grant, Kyle and Amanda were growing up. A bird was always perched on the top of our basketball goal and would dive at me when I would go to the mailbox or the car. One time I remember instead of dashing out to the car, I opened an umbrella and hid under it! I think she would build a nest each year in a bush near the back door. Bizarre, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete