Sunday, July 31, 2011

Give Me a Break

I've never been one to sit still for very long.

I can remember this one time when we were little and my mom, sister and I were in a doctor's office.  Not sure if someone was sick or if it was just a routine check-up, but while we were waiting I proceeded to open up every jar and cabinet to examine every item in this tiny room.  It didn't matter what it was or what it was used for I was just finding something to do really.  (No patience then, and still working on my patience even now).  But what sticks out most in my memory is my sister trying to make me stop and just sit still.  My mom, I'm sure knowing better at this point, told my sister that I wasn't harming anything I just had to keep moving.  So, knowing I had permission (within boundaries) and that I was irritating my sister, of course I didn't stop.

Now that I'm older I still find it hard for me to sit still, but for somewhat different reasons.  There is always something that needs to be done.  Laundry to fold, dishes to wash, toys to pick up - I'm sure you can rattle off your own list without really trying too hard.  So making myself take a break is hard sometimes because I feel the guilt settle in like a weight with all the things I could be doing.

So, give me a break.  No seriously.  This is the one way I am guaranteed to relax and not feel guilty about it.  This past Christmas my managers and district managers gave me a 60 minute massage at Westwood Day Spa.  Is there really any better gift for a woman?  I can't think of many.  But of course, in classic mommy fashion I kept putting it off because its not convenient during the week and I hate giving up my family time on the weekends.  But finally I couldn't wait any longer - my certificate was about to expire.  And for 60 minutes yesterday morning I took a much needed break.  Completely guilt free.

Need a gift for the ladies in your life?  Call the spa and make her take a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment