Monday, June 18, 2012

Grace Based Parenting

I recently began reading my second parenting book of the year.  Recommended by and borrowed from my friend Tami (thank you!) it is called Grace Based Parenting by Dr. Tim Kimmel.  

From just the early pages I felt a peace settle in my soul.  It is a peace from knowing that this is how I want to parent LB.  I want to parent with grace in the same manner that my heavenly father deals with me.  

Last night I read that the three most important gifts I can give LB are love, purpose and hope.  And that through these three gifts I can meet her needs for security, significance and strength. (pg 25)  I can even relate to these needs in my own life as an adult.

Parenting can be hard and often times a struggle to know what to do.  I am prone to try and "fix it" and in the end I agonize over situations.  It doesn't come natural, but I am learning that I must first submit to God for his guidance in all things.  And that I must "cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7.

Parenting is also the most rewarding journey I've ever been on.  Partnered with my wonderful husband, I know that through God's loving hand that He will not lead us astray as a mom and dad.

I enjoy visiting Sally Clarkson's blog.  And this post especially touched me today.  Check it out!



No comments:

Post a Comment