Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Looking to Cook

I think my own love of cooking began when I was in high school.  Back then I primarily focused on sweets.  But today it is more of the everyday meals that I focus my attention on.  It has taken time to build up my confidence in the kitchen.  But with the help of e-mealz.com I have increased my menu possibilities drastically.

I learned about e-mealz.com while in labor at the hospital.  Literally.  My doc started the pitocin, said he was going home to have dinner with his family and then he would return in a few hours to check on me.  Making conversation I asked what was for dinner.  He told me that his wife used e-mealz.com every week to determine their menus.  Five meals a week, with all the recipes, and easy to make.  And it even provides your grocery list.  Grant and I were sold right then and there.  The week after LB was born we signed up and started cooking regularly ever since.

E-mealz.com was perfect for me because while I enjoyed being in the kitchen I was not very confident.  I knew that I was good at about 5 different things.  But after you have those a few weeks in a row you get tired of them and so its just easier to say lets order in or go out for dinner.  However, with a baby at home and trying to get out of debt we knew that our food budget needed to change.  And we saw lots of opportunities to save in that area.  And in our first month with e-mealz.com we saved hundreds of dollars.

Now, after a year and a half of regularly cooking in the kitchen I'm looking for more.  I want to learn the ins and outs of the kitchen.  I want to know how to properly chop.  I want to know what you get when you mix x, y and z without having to look it up.  I just want some basic knowledge to improve in the kitchen.  I would love it if there were a continuing ed class I could take.  Or maybe even an all day Saturday class.  I'm going to start doing a little research on this one and I'll keep you posted.

Anyone else interested in taking a cooking class?

4 comments:

  1. It's so funny that you posted this today! I heard about e-mealz from Amber Carter and was just researching it online this morning. I'm going to start it when we get a little more settled (the one that's 5 meals a week for 2 people). Which menu do you get (Walmart, Publix, general, or a low-carb or poriton control...)? I just got back from Walmart with an old one she had given me and I'm excited to start it on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We signed up for the 5 meals a week for 2 people at the general grocery store. At the time there wasn't a Publix in town. But its worked out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to take a cooking class...I am in! When and where?
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was around- I would love that!!

    ReplyDelete