Friday, July 6, 2012

Birthday Wishes

What is the craziest birthday request you've ever had?

Off the top of my head I can think of 4 that rank at the top of my list.  All of them included a plane ticket over some body of water and a spring break trip during college.  Many thank yous go out to my parents who indulged (and supported) my travels during those four years.

Most birthday wishes are directed at our parents and grandparents while we are growing up.  Then as an adult, some of those wishes change course and we send them to our spouse.  I received a extraordinary request this year.  Amazingly, not from my daughter or my husband, but from my mother.

My entire life I always heard that my mom wanted red-headed children.  Still to this day she gets giggly when she sees a red-headed child.

So for her birthday I died my hair.  I didn't go all out red.  My cousin Martha is a wonderful true red-head.  She carries it so well.  I think, a task not to be taken lightly.  And I don't think I could live up to it like she does.  So I compromised and went Auburn.  And I love it.  Very subtle, but in the right sunlight the beautiful auburn shines.  I'm very pleased.

My mom - well, she squealed and was completely giggly excited when I showed up to wish her a happy birthday.

Will I ever be able to top this gift?  Probably not.  Guess I'll just have to do a repeat every July.

Happy Birthday Mom!

The Before

And After

No comments:

Post a Comment