Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tap, Tap, Tap - Here Little Lizard

I stopped dead in my tracks.

First I thought, is that one of LB's toys? Then I realized, no we don't have any toy lizards.

Up, showered, coffee made, and Grant had just left for work. We had been in and out of the kitchen for about an hour when I first spotted the bright green lizard on our hard wood floors. I couldn't move. We proceeded to have a starring contest for a full minute while I considered my options.

Occasionally we have had them in our sunroom and lounge on the palm tree. But this one was in my kitchen! And somehow I felt a bit more threatened with it in there. I quickly went to Grant's closet to look for a shoebox to catch it in. No luck. If I had been closer to my closet, I would have had plenty of shoeboxes to choose from!

I go back into the kitchen, hoping that the little guy is still there. And he is. In fact, he hasn't moved. Frozen in his tracks also.

My wheels are spinning - what am I going to do??

At my feet is a plastic spoon that LB plays with. I pick it up, thinking I might just scoop him up and carrying him out the door. In preparation for a quick maneuver, I open the back door. I slowly creep toward the lizard and he starts to slowly creep backwards. Hey! Where are you going! Immediately I put the tip of the spoon behind him and he stops. Okay, so I'll just direct him with it.

I felt like I was in the the scene in Parent Trap when the twins tell their dad's girlfriend to hit two sticks together three times to keep the bears away. I kept tapping the spoon on the floor trying to get the lizard to go where I wanted it to go. With an occasional tap on the tail we rounded the corner and the outdoors were in sight. I think the lizard must have sensed it too, because we hit the door step and it leaped and bounded out the door and away from this crazy lady with the tapping spoon.

A good ending.

I can imagine LB running around chasing this lizard in the house! I'm so glad we can save that playtime for the outdoors now.

2 comments:

  1. you could have called the sharp house...we have 3 kids who love to catch the lizards!we have a pet lizard who lives on our back porch who occasionally doesnt mind getting his tail snatched off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stories. They make laugh. Thanks for taking the time from your busy schedule to share.

    ReplyDelete