Friday, June 25, 2010

How We Met

Five years ago about this time, I was fresh out of college with diploma in hand, no job in sight and moving to Atlanta. Dad hooked me up with Cathy Cox's campaign to volunteer for the summer. And there was a span of about 7 days when I was actually in Donalsonville before I made the move. It was during those 7 days that we first met.

Grant and I had never met before, however, our families have known each other for years. But Grant and I had never crossed paths.

Grant and his twin brother Kyle had started their landscaping business just a few months before I came home. And their first big job was my parents yard. I actually didn't even know that my parents were re-landscaping until they came up for a visit around Easter weekend. A visit where they met the guy I was dating at the time. It was on this visit that I first heard about Grant and Kyle. On the way to dinner, walking down Main Street, my mom starts going on and on about these two guys and how great they are and I just have to meet them. This is on the way to meet my boyfriend! Needless to say, he and I didn't last - thank goodness.

So, back to those seven days in D'ville. There were no sparks, no fireworks, no real interest (I don't think) for either of us. We met in the yard. Spoke in passing. And that was about it. And to be honest, I really couldn't tell the difference between the two of them at the time. With a hat and sunglasses on they really looked the same.

Days pass, I'm in Atlanta now. My summer weekends are pretty much booked with wedding parties for my sister who was getting married Labor Day weekend in the fall. Earlier that spring I had thought I was going to have a date to all these parties since I was dating that guy. But when he broke up with me I was pretty shaken up, mad, upset - you name it - about the whole thing. And somehow I thought that if I had a date to those parties, well I would show him! So...who to ask?? None of my high school friends were around anymore. And I couldn't ask anyone from school cause they all lived too far away. What about these Faulk boys that mom raved about so much? Well, Kyle had a girlfriend. So, I guess I'll call up Grant.

And that's how it all started. We spent the summer going to wedding parties. Driving back and forth. And after six months of dating we had our first conversation about spending the rest of our lives together.

Now, I feel like Grant has been in my life always. He is my best friend.

I'm so glad that guy broke up with me spring term senior year.

3 comments:

  1. I cant imagine Grant without you, Labor day group without you, Tuesday Taco night without you....love you both:)amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, so sweet! Miss you!

    Love, Kristine

    ReplyDelete