Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Book Club 101

Growing up I never was a big reader.  I always wanted to play outside instead.  But my mom had a rule that we always had to have a book going.  Even if it just meant reading a few pages at bedtime.  Over time I grew to love reading.  My sister - who is now a librarian - used to recommend books to me.  We figured out that if she enjoyed a book I probably wouldn't like it, and vice versa.

I now am a part of a book club.  We are all newbies having just started our second book.  But I think everyone is really enjoying it.  Some come with English degrees, some with just a love of books, and some who couldn't even fathom the idea of getting together to discuss books.  We have different tastes in books.  But somehow we all mesh well together, and everyone has something special to bring to the group.

But after our second meeting where we actually discussed our first book I realized something - it really isn't about the reading or the books, although they are important.  The books are just our avenue and excuse for getting together.  What I value about our book club is that we are just an ordinary group of girls learning from each other's life experiences that inevitably come out over the snacks, book discussions and hang time.

Every girl needs a girls group.  Mine just happens to be about books.

No comments:

Post a Comment