Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy Birthday Brittany

About 9 years ago I met a friend that I will have for a lifetime.

Brittany and I were freshman roommates at W&L.  She was from VA and I was from GA.  She played soccer growing up and I played tennis.  She was very driven in her work and so was I.  The computer system actually did a great job matching us up.

But even with all these similarities we weren't really friends that first fall semester.  It wasn't that we didn't like each other it was more that I had a horrible class load (probably my worst out of all 4 years there) and Britt had a lighter load.  So, while I was stuck in the library we just never really got a chance to get to know one another.

But after living in the dorm room that we had it was inevitable that we would have to get to know one another.  I wish I could do our room adequate justice in describing it, but there is no way.  Just suffice it to say that after our freshman year - the year of the largest freshman class ever to step foot on campus and they were searching for places to put us all - they made our room a single forevermore.

But because of this tiny living space we eventually were forced to find out each others quirks.  And I'm so glad we did.

Brittany and I have traveled all over together.  My parents used to laugh at Thanksgiving when I came home cause they knew I would be telling them what I wanted for Christmas and it always involved a plane ticket.

Sophomore year we went to Hawaii and stayed with my cousin Cage who was doing his "study abroad".  We came back so tan and completely relaxed.  We would actually walk 2 miles to the beach each day while Cage was in class.  And just lay there all day.  I took my accounting exam early so that we could have 9 days instead of just 7 in Hawaii.  Ended up with a C in that class.  But it was worth it.

Senior year Brittany had just returned from a semester abroad in Australia and had the traveling bug.  But she had not been to Europe.  So I told her she could pick the place as long as I had never been there before.  What a destination - Norway and Denmark.  I actually saw on the news the other night that the largest gingerbread village in the world is in Bergen, Norway - and I have been there!

We went to DC, Atlanta, Charleston, Annapolis, San Francisco, Compass Lake, Panama City.  The list could go on.

Brittany is one of my best lifelong friends and today is her birthday.  She is a successful accountant in Boston.  Her work ethic and values have been an example to me through the years.

My grandfather used to say that if you have five great friends in your life then you are doing really well.  Brittany is definitely one of my five great friends.  And today I wish her a wonderful happy birthday.
Love and miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment