Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Our Cabie from Philly

Growing up I remember thinking that my grandparents knew everyone everywhere we went.  And in Bay Point, where they lived, that was pretty close to being true.  But as I grew older I realized that they just loved people.  And they always made it a point to talk to people - to anyone about anything.

I wish I had more of this trait.  But maybe I just need to hone in on it some more, becoming intentional to engage people as God brings them in and out of my daily life.

While in Nashville Grant and I met a great guy.  We never exchanged names, but I believe Grant and I will remember him for a while.

On Sunday Grant and I went to see the Rockettes perform at the Grand Ole Opry House.  From downtown this was about a 20 minute cab ride.  It had already begun to snow at this point, but wasn't too bad.  After the show we hung around the Opryland Hotel just walking around checking out this beautiful site.  And by the time we were ready to head back downtown there was lots of snow on the ground.  There were two taxis left outside and we managed to snag a great one.

Our cabie was from Philly (whew, I was excited to hear this cause it meant he knew how to drive in the snow!)  He was extremely careful on the highways as we passed several wrecks from cars skidding and sliding.  The three of us didn't talk much in the beginning but as our speed slowed down on the road we seemed to talk more in the cab.  We learned that he came to Nashville for college.  He had finished his masters at Vanderbilt the previous year in Bio Statistics.  Wow.  After a year of being out he realized he wanted to get his PhD and was going back to school in the same field.  Again, wow.  Even though he went to Vandy, he cheers for Tennessee.  He has a three year old son at home.  And his wife is from Philly also. They are waiting to have more kids until he finishes his PhD.  He stays home with his son during the day and talked about teaching him to read and write.  One a few occasions he talked about how proud his parents are of all that he has accomplished with going to college and completing his masters and going for his PhD.  And by the end of the cab ride Grant and I were too.

He had a very gentle spirit that made him easy to talk to and very enjoyable to get to know.

I wish our cabie from Philly all the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment