Friday, December 10, 2010

Top 4 Likes from My VA Winters

Going to college in Virginia you would think that I could handle some cold weather.  And don't get me wrong, there are some things that I loved about the cold while I was there.  But I'm such a wimp now and the slightest dip in temperature sends me running to turn up the thermostat.

So, to try and take my mind off these 20 degree nights I'm going to reminisce about my winters in Virginia and all the good stuff that went along with it.

1.  The snow.
Freshman year I remember our first blanket of snow.  You could definitely tell who was from the South because all of us idiots were out playing in it and none of us owned anything appropriate for that kind of weather.  There was this one guy from FL that lived in my dorm and he just threw a bathrobe over his flannel pajamas and ran outside to jump in the beautiful white stuff.  I'll probably never forget that first time I played in it.

2.  The Sledding.
Oh, how I loved sledding.  My roommate was a seasoned sledding veteran and showed me the ropes.  The Colonnade provided a perfect ramp.  Students would bring out treys from the dining hall.  Some would sled on cardboard boxes.  By the end of it I owned my very own saucer sled.  Two of us could sit in it and we would go flying down the hills.

Here is a picture of the Colonnade with snow.


3.  No class. (sometimes)
Living in a mountainous region and taking morning classes often meant that class would be cancelled.  I remember sitting in my Econ class waiting on our Professor to arrive.  Everyone was debating how long to wait around.  Do we evoke the 5 minute rule, 10 minute rule or 15 minute rule before we all take off? We decided to go with the 15 minute rule because our professor was in fact the Dean of the Business School.  We wait and wait and wait.  And after about 14 minutes he races through the door.  Surprised that we are all still there.  (Great, we should have went with the 5 minute rule)  He then informed us how fortunate we were because he had parked his car at the bottom of his driveway the night before.  And it was a good thing cause his driveway was iced over and he would not have been able to get to campus otherwise.

4.  The online shopping.
Coming from South GA I was not prepared for the VA temperatures.  Or I should say my wardrobe was not prepared.  I did a lot of online shopping while in college and the majority consisted of warm sweaters and coats.

No comments:

Post a Comment