Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Creature of Habit

Yesterday as I was fixing lunch for LB and myself she kept going over to a certain chair at the table and saying daddy.  Yes, in fact, she was correct.  She was pointing to daddy's chair.  It made me think about all the things I do without even giving a second thought because that is how I've always done it.

I always sit in the right chair at the table.

I always enter the shower at the front and exit the back.

I always sleep on the left side of the bed. (except for a minor venture to the right while I was pregnant)

The list could go on.

I guess we are all creatures of habit in our own way.  And I guess in the long run it makes life easier.  When you sit in the same chair at the table it helps when setting the table to know where the different drinks go, etc.  You leave your specific books on your side of the bed so they are there for you the following night.

But what if you mix things up all along?

When I was in high school I started parting my hair on the opposite side.  I don't think anyone ever noticed - or at least I don't remember anyone saying anything about it.  But it was fun for me personally.  And just a few years ago I went back to my original part.  Again, I'm not sure anyone noticed. But in the mornings I thought twice about something as simple as brushing my hair.  And for the briefest of moments, before it became habit again, it was new and different.

What could you change up to add a little variety to your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment