Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cool Website for Old Books

I have shared with you before about how Grant and I are working to be debt-free.  I look forward to the day that we plan our celebratory trip.  And many of you gave us some great trip ideas from my Debt Free Reward post.

As we cut back our lifestyles in order to pay down more debt, I am also inspired to look for ways to create additional income to throw at that debt.  I ran across a pretty neat idea that I got from a friend at church.  This friend was raising money about a year ago for a mission trip she was going on.  Instead of asking for donations, she asked for old textbooks.  Any old textbooks you had lying around she wanted.  She was attempting to sell them online.  What a brilliant idea!  Much less threatening than asking for money.  I went through our bookcases and gave her a bag full of textbooks.  I think she got money for most of them, probably not huge amounts but it all adds up.  The best part about this is she found a website that does the searching for you to find the site that will give you the most money for your books.  The website is bookscouter.com.

So, I decided to try it myself.  I went through our bookcases again.  Put together a pile of books and started entering in the ISBN numbers.  And it worked.  A screen would pop up with a list of 20+ sites that all buy back books.  Some books didn't have anything offered for them so they are still in a pile on my desk.  But others had multiple offers for them.  In fact, I mailed off three books today for a total of $20.33.  And I didn't even have to pay for the postage!  The website sent me a mailing label.  Pretty cool.

Would you like to get out of debt?  Try getting creative with ways to raise money and throw it all at that debt.  It's pretty cool to watch it dwindle down to nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment